AAS Associate Program
Division of Health Professions
Medical Assisting is an allied health profession that allows you to perform both back office clinical procedures and front office administrative responsibilities. Medical Assistants primarily find employment in outpatient or ambulatory healthcare facilities such as medical offices and clinics.
Clinical duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Medical Histories & Vital Signs
- Assist providers with various exams and minor office surgery procedures
- Instructing patients about medications and special diets
- Collecting/preparing lab specimens; Perform basic lab testing and phlebotomy
- Pulmonary Function Studies
- Infection Control
Administrative responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
- Coding and filling out insurance forms
- Customer/Patient Service
- Updating and filing patient medical records
- Understanding patient privacy/compliance
- Scheduling appointments
- Arranging for hospital admissions and laboratory services
- Handling correspondences, billing and basic practice finances.
Medical Assisting students partake in a clinical practicum seminar which allows for hands-on experience in a real-world work environment. These externship hours help students gain confidence with the practical skills needed to succeed after graduation as well as provide an opportunity for professional networking. Upon successful completion of our program, students will be eligible to take four (4) certification exams: National Certified Medical Office Assistant (NCMOA) Certified Medical Reimbursement Specialist (CMRS), Certified Coding Associate (CCA) and Certified Medical Assistant (CMA). Medical Assisting graduates are ideal candidates for bachelor’s degree programs in fields like Healthcare Management and Healthcare Informatics.
Time of Program: Day
Mode of Delivery: On-site seated
Normal Time to Completion: 24 months
The Trocaire College Medical Assistant Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) upon the recommendation of Medical Assisting Education Review Board (MAERB).
25400 U.S. Highway 19 North, Suite 158
Clearwater, Florida 33763
Phone: 1 (727) 210-2350
Fax: 1 (727) 210-2354
20 N. Wacker Drive, Suite 1575
Chicago, IL 60606