Resolution of Student Complaints/Concerns

Trocaire College participates in federal student aid programs authorized under Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965. A participating institution must also be legally authorized to operate within the State in which it is located. Title 34 CFR §600.9 requires States to have a “process to review and appropriately act on complaints concerning the institution including enforcing applicable State laws.”

Title 34 CFR §668.43(b) requires that institutions: 

  • “…make available for review to any enrolled or prospective student upon request, a copy of the documents describing the institution’s accreditation and its State, Federal, or tribal approval or licensing.”
  • “The institution must also provide its students or prospective students with contact information for filing complaints with its accreditor and with its State approval or licensing entity and any other relevant State official or agency that would appropriately handle a student’s complaint.”

To comply with this regulation, Trocaire College provides the following information to prospective and current students:

Internal Complaint Resolution

Trocaire College makes every effort to resolve student complaints and concerns internally, using policies and procedures outlined in the current College CatalogStudent Handbook and/or on the college’s website. The institutional complaint process for students engaged in distance learning is the same for all students irrespective of physical location. It is expected that students will fully utilize any and all such administrative procedures to address concerns and/or complaints in as timely a manner as possible.

Students are directed to fill out a complaint/concern form using the link below. More information about each area of the college is available under that. If a student is unsure of the complaint category, the student should select “Other” on the form.

Student Complaint/Concern Form

Wherever possible, students should attempt to resolve concerns by using a direct and informal approach to the individual or office concerned.  Upon receipt of a complaint, the information will be directed to the appropriate office or department and you should expect initial contact from that office within one business week.

Note:  If currently enrolled, all communication will be directed to your Trocaire email. Complaints must be filed by a current or prospective student, not by a family member or proxy.

"*" indicates required fields

Full Name*
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Learn more about each category in the Complaint/Concern Form and where you can get more information: 


  • Academic Grade Appeal: Refer to the Academic Policies and the student grade appeal procedures available in the College Catalog.
  • Academic Integrity Violations: Refer to the Academic Integrity Policy as provided in the College Catalog.
  • Faculty / Instructors / Academic, Other: May include faculty issues, academic dismissal, academic probation, or complaints about academic staff.





  • Concerns abut employee (staff, faculty, clinical instructor) behavior that is inappropriate or unsafe


  • Refer to Trocaire’s Safety and Emergency page.
  • To report criminal incidents, emergencies and suspicious activity, call Campus Security at 716.827.2500 on the Main Campus.



External Complaint Resolution

If a resolution cannot be reached following the college’s internal Student Complaint Resolution process as outlined above:


U.S. Department of Education
Family Policy Compliance Office
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202-8502


In the unlikely event that an issue cannot be resolved through the institutional complaint process, students residing in New York should contact the New York State Education Department, the applicable agency for oversight in resolving complaints, at the Office of College and University Evaluation.


Trocaire College is approved to participate in the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) which regulates the manner in which participating institutions may offer distance learning education to students who reside in other states. If a student has a complaint that involves distance learning education offered under the terms and conditions of SARA, the student must file a complaint with the institution first to seek resolution. Complaints regarding student grades or student conduct violations are governed entirely by institutional policy and the laws of the SARA institution’s home state. If a person bringing a complaint is not satisfied with the outcome of the college’s internal process for resolving complaints, the complaint (except for complaints about grades or student conduct violations) may be appealed, within two years of the incident about which the complaint is made, to the College’s SARA portal entity (which for Trocaire College is the New York State Education Department).

  • To contact the New York State Education Department – which is the college’s SARA portal entity but which also handles non-SARA complaints, please refer to this link:
  • For purposes of this process, a complaint shall be defined as a formal assertion in writing that the terms of this agreement, or of laws, standards or regulations incorporated by the SARA Policies and Standards have been violated by the institution operating under the terms of SARA.
  • Although the SARA State Portal Entity is the correct location for out-of-state students to file a complaint, Trocaire will provide, upon demand, an updated list of all state contacts for filing complaints under SARA should the student wish to inquire there.
  • All U.S. States, except California, are SARA member states, along with the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
  • Review further information on SARA and the SARA complaint process

State Portal Entity Contact: 
Andrea Richards
Supervisor, Higher Education Programs
New York State Education Department
89 Washington Avenue
Albany, NY 12234

Unresolved Complaints

Once all other avenues provided by the College and the State agency or SARA have been exhausted, unresolved complaints may be filed with the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, the College’s regional accrediting agency.

Middle States General Contact Information:
Middle States Commission on Higher Education
1007 North Orange Street 4th Floor, MB #166
Wilmington, DE 19801
Telephone: 267.284.5000
General Concerns: