The TroGreen team (a Trocaire group focused on sustainability) has several events planned in honor of Earth Day 2017. Most events will take place during an “Earth Day Fest 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Thursday, April 20, while a Cazenovia Creek clean-up is planned for Earth Day itself (Saturday, April 22).
Earth Day Fest Line-up:
- Enjoy a vegetarian lunch in the name of sustainability! $5 for a sample of all or $2 for one dish in the Commons.
Meet some local environmental heroes in the Commons Foyer:
- Buffalo Niagara RIVERKEEPER: A community-based nonprofit organization dedicated to protecting and connecting people to the water through cleaning up pollution, restoring fish and wildlife habitat, creating public access and enhancing educational opportunities.
- Wagner Apiary (Bee Keeper): It has often been said that bees are responsible for one out of every three bites of food we eat. Most crops grown for their fruits (including vegetables such as squash, cucumber, tomato and eggplant), nuts, seeds, fiber (such as cotton), and hay (alfalfa grown to feed livestock), require pollination by insects. Learn about this local apiary and the work they’re doing to protect and foster the bee population.
- PUSH GREEN: A community-based energy efficiency program funded by People United for Sustainable Housing (PUSH Buffalo) and the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA), part of a statewide effort to make your home or small business more comfortable, reduce your energy usage and bills, address climate change and create local jobs. They provide Erie County residents access to free energy assessments, installation services, low-cost financing, solar, and, most importantly, workforce opportunities.
Earth Day Scavenger Hunt:
- Have fun, learn about the environment and get in the running to win Barnes & Noble gift cards! Using the clues posted on the Trocaire College Facebook page that day and passed out in the Commons at the Veggie Cook-Off, find the TroGreen Team markers around campus. Take a picture of yourself with the markers and post them to the Trocaire Facebook for a chance to win a Barnes & Noble gift card. The more markers you find and post, the more chances you have to win!
Saturday April 22: Buffalo Niagara Riverkeeper Shoreline Sweep
Bring along your family, friends classmates or coworkers and join members of the TroGreen Team for the Buffalo Niagara Riverkeeper Shoreline Sweep on Earth Day (Saturday April 22) from 10 a.m.-noon. Meet at the Caz Casino building in Cazenovia Park in South Buffalo, and we’ll join the community to clean the park. After the clean-up, all are invited to a Volunteer Appreciation Party from 12:30-2:30 p.m. at Lakeward Spirits.