The mission of the AST National Honor Society is to recognize the achievement of surgical technology students and to support the learning and professional development of members who strive to improve the surgical technology profession. Criteria to be inducted into the society includes the following:
- The student must have completed 85% of the graduation requirements at a CAAHEP-accredited Surgical Technology program.
- The student must maintain and have no less than a cumulative 3.75 GPA (based on a 4.0 grading scale).
- The student must have at least a 95% overall attendance rate.
- The student must be a good school citizen and have neither past nor present disciplinary actions.
- The student must project qualities of integrity and leadership in academic and extracurricular activities.
- The student must be a member of AST.
Dean of Health Professions Linda J. Kerwin CST, RN, Ed.D. describes Bates as an enthusiastic learner who exhibits a positive attitude in the classroom and strives daily to reach her full potential.
“In the clinical setting, Sarah uses her instincts to deal with matters independently and in a positive way and is committed to doing her best. She is known seek new challenges and remains focused on the activity at hand,” Kerwin said. “Sarah is kind and helpful to her colleagues, and sets an example of excellence in behavior and cooperation. She wholeheartedly joins in Surgical Technology Club activities and can be depended on to do what she is tasked to do. For these reasons, Sarah was selected to be inducted into the AST National Honor Society.”