What Constitutes Service Learning?
The following guidelines will be adhered to for all courses designated as requiring service learning:
- Definition: Service learning is a teaching and learning approach that integrates meaningful community service with instruction and reflection to enrich the learning experience, promote growth in compassion and critical thinking skills, foster civic responsibility, and strengthen communities. Through structured reflection activities, students are given the opportunity to understand what was learned and experienced, and how the community was benefited.*Adapted from the National Commission on Service Learning Definition
- All courses integrating service learning should:
- Integrate course material and learning objectives with the service learning activities
- Provide activities to engage students in reflection about the service experience and the achievement of learning outcomes
- Serve a genuine community need
- Refer to, or include, required service learning documents and forms students
- Describe the service learning component in the syllabus
- Complete evaluations on the value and effectiveness of the service learning experience from the perspective of the student, professor, and community partner
- Community partners must be approved by Coordinator of Service Learning.