Trocaire recognizes that the world is ever changing, and we want to be on the forefront of producing highly qualified, compassionate nursing professionals that meet these needs. With this in mind Trocaire College launched the Pathways to Nursing Success program in August 2017.
In July 2017, Trocaire College was awarded the Nursing Workforce Diversity grant sponsored through HRSA (Health Resources Service Administration). With this grant the College established the Pathways to Nursing Success Program. The grant project runs from 2017-2021. During this project period the Pathways program will recruit 25 eligible nursing students. The program’s aim is to provide wrap around supports and services to eligible underrepresented minority nursing students here at Trocaire; in an effort to not only recruit and enroll them, but to also retain them through their Associated Degree in Nursing and the Bachelor of Science with a major in Nursing Degrees. Overall the implications of this program’s success is that Trocaire will not only produce quality and compassionate nursing professionals, but also assist with diversifying the professional field of nursing.
Eligible Students Must:
- Be a RN Student with a desire to obtain their BS Nursing Degree at the conclusion of their RN program. (preference given to FT and 1ST semester RN students)
- Be a U.S. citizen or legal resident alien.
- Identify as a member of an underrepresented minority population (Black or African American, Hispanic or Latino, American Indian or Alaska Native, Native Hawaiians or other ethnicity identified as URM)
- Demonstrate Economic Hardship (low or no EFC, fall within federal poverty guidelines, personal statement outlining substantial financial need) AND/OR Demonstrate Educational Hardship (graduate of a Buffalo Public School (except City Honors), 1st generation college student, ESL/Refugee, recipient of SNAP/TANF, Medicaid, Section 8 benefits)
Accepted students will receive the following wrap around supports:
- Mentoring from peers, faculty, and nursing professionals
- Internship, employment and various educational opportunities with our grant partners Community Health Centers of Buffalo and Erie Niagara Area Health Education Center
- Enhanced academic support services, including weekly Supplemental Instruction for identified nursing courses
- Monthly Case management and support referral services
- Invitations to nursing immersion events to help prepare participants for the RN field and the school/work/life balance needed to get through the program
- A community of cohorts
- Financial support in the form of scholarships and stipends to alleviate financial stressors
Does the program currently have any openings?
Currently as of the close of the Spring 2018 semester the Pathways program is currently full. Students wishing to be considered for any future openings may fill out a wait list application and submit it to Shawnte Wilson in room 230 or by emailing it to her a email@example.com.
Is there a way to access the student supports without being a Pathways student?
YES! The Pathways program has various supports which are open to nursing students even if not officially enrolled in the program. Current supports open to non-pathways students are:
- The Fall 2018 Academic Scholarship, 5- $1,000 scholarships will be awarded to eligible minority RN or BS nursing students. Completed applications are due September 17, 2018. Applications can be returned to room 230 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Emergency Funding, we all know life happens, especially while in school. But minor set backs should not derail you from your education. Eligible minority RN or BS Nursing students can apply for emergency funding. The emergency fund is a onetime payment that can be used to purchase books, groceries, nursing school supplies, defray transportation costs associated with school,or assist with past due bills. Students must be referred and apply. Final decisions are made by the Pathways advisory committee and funds will be available until exhausted. Completed forms should be dropped off to room 230 or emailed to Shawnte Wilson at email@example.com.
- Nursing Mentor Supports, students can opt to receive free mentoring services from a peer or nursing professional or apply to become employed as a peer mentor when positions are available.For more information concerning the Pathways mentoring program please call Shawnte Wilson at 716-827-2440 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Academic Supports, current nursing students are invited to attend weekly supplemental instruction. These targeted academic review sessions are led by students who were previously successful in the course they are instructing. SI Student leads also work closely with the faculty instructor for the course. Sessions will be held weekly in the Palisano Learning Center beginning Fall 2018. For a schedule of scheduled course review sessions email Shawnte Wilson at email@example.com.
- Invitations to professional development workshops and networking events, Throughout the semester the Pathways program also hosts a series of events aimed toward becoming a leader in the professional field of Nursing and learning how to cope with stress as a current nursing student. All are welcomed to attend these events. For more information about upcoming Fall 2018- Spring 2019 events call 716-827-2440.
There is room for EVERYONE! :
This program seeks to enhance academic and social supports for all students enrolled at Trocaire College through innovation and networking; even if a student is not eligible or enrolled in the Pathways program. The Pathways’ programmatic goals help to build strong social and academic connections amongst students, faculty, Alumni, and mentors. The Pathways program often has employment or other unique opportunities for current students, Alumni, and even faculty. If you are interested in becoming involved with the Pathways program as a support person, please email Shawnte Wilson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Check back to this page for program updates or contact the Program Coordinator at email@example.com.