Postdoctoral Research Fellowship, Cancer Genetics, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY; 2008-2011
Ph.D., Free Radical and Radiation Biology, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA; 2008
Master of Arts, Biology, Bemidji State University, Bemidji, MN; 2003
Bachelor of Arts, Biology, Concordia College, Moorhead, MN; 2001
BIO105 Human Biology
BIO130 Anatomy and Physiology I
BIO130L Anatomy and Physiology I Lab
BIO131 Anatomy and Physiology II
BIO131L Anatomy and Physiology II Lab
BIO223L Microbiology Lab
RT212 Sectional Anatomy for the Radiographer
RT302 Sectional Anatomy and Image Application
RT400 Pathology Correlation in Computed Tomography
Roswell Park Cancer Institute – Buffalo, New York
Department of Cancer Genetics
Project: Mitochondrial DNA’s role in cellular function and tumorigenesis.
University of Iowa – Iowa City, Iowa
Free Radical and Radiation Biology Program
Project: Oxidative stress and genomic instability due by mutations in succinate dehydrogenase complex subunit D.
Bemidji State University – Bemidji, Minnesota
Department of Biology
Project summary: Determine the effects of green tea and DMSO on transformed mouse embryonic fibroblasts survival and transformation frequency.
- Singh B, Kulawiec M, Owens KM, Singh A, Singh KK. Sustained Early Disruption of Mitochondrial Function Contributes to Arsenic-Induced Prostate Tumorigenesis. Biochemistry (Mosc.). 2016, 81: 1089-1100.
- Singh B, Li X, Owens KM, Vanniarajan A, Liang P, Singh KK. REV3 DNA polymerase zeta localizes to mitochondria and protects the mitochondrial genome. PLoS One. 2015, 10:e0140409.
- Singh B, Owens KM, Bajpai P, Desouki MM, Srinivasasainagendra V, Tiwari HK, Singh KK. Mitochondrial DNA Polymerase POLG1 Disease Mutations and Germline Variants Promote Tumorigenic Properties. 2015, 10:e0139846.
- Owens KM, Aykin-Burns N, Domann FE, Spitz DR. Mutant succinate dehydrogenase subunit D causes genomic instability by increasing superoxide production. Free Radical Biology and Medicine. 2012, 52:160-166.
- Ayyasamy V, Owens KM, Desouki MM, Liang P, Bakin A, Thangaraj K, Buchsbaum DJ, LoBuglio AF, Singh KK. Cellular model of Warburg effect identifies tumor promoting function of UCP2 in breast cancer and its suppression by genipin. PLoS One. 2011, 6:e24792.
- Hall BM, Owens KM, Singh KK. Distinct functions of evolutionary conserved MSF1 and late embryogenesis abundant (LEA)-like domains in mitochondria. Journal Biological Chemistry. 2011, 1286:39141-39152.
- Owens KM, Kulawiec M, Desouki MM, Vanniarajan A, Singh KK. Impaired OXPHOS complex III in breast cancer. PLoS One. 2011, 6:e23846.
- Aykin-Burns N, Slane BG, Liu AT, Owens KM, O’Malley MS, Smith BJ, Domann FE, Spitz DR. Sensitivity to low-dose/low-LET ionizing radiation in mammalian cells harboring mutations in succinate dehydrogenase subunit C is governed by mitochondria-derived reactive oxygen species. Radiation Research. 2011, 175:150-158.
- Graham K, Kualwiec M, Owens KM, Li X, Desouki MM, Chandra D, Singh KK. NADPH oxidase 4 is an oncogenic protein localized to mitochondria. Cancer Biology and Therapy. 2010, 10: 23-231.
- Kim HS, Patel K, Muldonn-Jacobs K, Bisht KS, Aykin-Burns N, Pennington JD, van der Meer R, Nguyen P, Savage J, Owens KM, Vassilopoulos A, Ozden O, Park SH, Singh KK, Abdulkadir SA, Spitz DR, Deng CX, Gius D. SIRT3 is a mitochondrial-localized tumor suppressor required for maintenance of mitochondrial integrity and metabolism during stress. Cancer Cell. 2010, 17:41-52.
- Dayal D, Martin SM, Owens KM, Boominathan A, Pain D, Limoli CL, Goswami PC, Domann FE, Spitz DR. Mitochondrial complex II dysfunction can significantly contribute to genomic-instability following ionizing radiation. Radiation Research. 2009, 172:737-745.
- Kulawiec M, Owens KM, Singh KK. African American G10398A polymorphism confers resistance to apoptosis and tumorigenicity. Journal of Human Genetics. 2009, 54:647-654.
- Singh KK, Ayyasamy V, Owens KM, Koul MS, Vuciji M. Mutations in mitochondrial DNA polymerase γ associated with breast cancer. Journal of Human Genetics. 2009, 9:516-524.
- Kulawiec M, Owens KM, Singh KK. Contribution of somatic mutations in mtDNA to the breast tumorigenicity. Cancer Biology and Therapy. 2009, 8:1378-1385.
Owens KM, Modica-Napolitano JS, Singh KK. 2008. Mitochondria and Cancer. In: Mitochondria and Cancer (Editors: KK Singh and L Costello), Springer, New York, 2009.
- Faculty Senate Vice President, Trocaire College 2014-present
- Innovative Faculty Member of the Year Award, Trocaire College, 2014
- Era of Hope, Postdoctoral fellowship in breast cancer research, Department of Defense, 2009, $340,000
- NIH training grant recipient (T32-CA78586), 2005-2007
- Outstanding Master’s Thesis, Bemidji State University, 2003
- Biology Graduate Student of the Year, Bemidji State University, 2003